Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Question on Changing Fields at the EUL Level
Question on Changing Fields at the EUL Level [message #145059] Mon, 31 October 2005 12:21 Go to next message
sbattisti
I'm pretty new to Discoverer. We use Discoverer 4i over Oracle 11.5.9. Last week I posted a simple question about using a function to convert a varchar field into a date using TO_DATE (http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/54251/72126/).

Today, I heard someone mentioning that there may be some way to modify this field at the End User Layer level, so that any time someone selects this field in a Discoverer report, it would automatically apply that calcuation.

This would eliminate the need for people writing reports to remember and perform the TO_DATE calculation when selecting this field.

However, I'm completely ignorant as to how this could be done, and where I could get more information. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Steve Battisti
Re: Question on Changing Fields at the EUL Level [message #146627 is a reply to message #145059] Fri, 11 November 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skooman
Steve,

Why not ask the one that mentioned this? Wink

What I think was meant, is that you can create a calculation in the EUL (contents something like "your_date_function(original_varchar_value)"). Than rename the original item and make it invisible. Rename your new calculation to the name the item had -> all users use your function whithout realizing it.

Regards,
Sabine
Re: Question on Changing Fields at the EUL Level [message #146682 is a reply to message #145059] Sat, 12 November 2005 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yogeshp

sbattisti,

I posted my query a 2 days back. can you solve my query?
I am connecting succesfully to database through oracle9i Discoverer Destop [version 9.0.2.0.0].
When I run the new report wizard, I did not get the table lists of the current logged in database user.

Can you please tell me what needs to be done..?
Yogesh.
Re: Question on Changing Fields at the EUL Level [message #146837 is a reply to message #146682] Mon, 14 November 2005 02:33 Go to previous message
skooman
Yogesh,

I think your post is in the wrong thread and I'm not sure what other query you're refering to.

Anyway, I would like to take a guess in answering your question: you can never see a table list when creating a new report (with or without wizard) because there has to be an EUL "between" the tables and the Discoverer workbooks. So, based on your statement that can connect but don't see any folders/items to select, I would say that you do have Discoverer priviliges but no access to Business Areas granted. You can add these using Discoverer Administrator.

Regards,
Sabine
Previous Topic: Return 0 if no record found????
Next Topic: Getting started with Oracle Discoverer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 06:43:01 CDT 2024