Home » Fusion Middleware & Colab Suite » Weblogic & Application Server » Application & DB servers on Different Hosting Locations (Oracle 10g R2 version.)
Application & DB servers on Different Hosting Locations [message #394506] Fri, 27 March 2009 09:07 Go to next message
rushimails
Hi

Is it possible to have a combination as below:

I have hosted my Oracle DB with some hosting company 'A' at Location 'X'.

I have my another Oracle Application server with some hosting Company 'B' at Location 'Y'

OR

Can I have both DB and Aplication server on same physical machine to save cost.

Thks
Rushi
Re: Application & DB servers on Different Hosting Locations [message #394507 is a reply to message #394506] Fri, 27 March 2009 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I'd vote for a separate database server and application server (i.e. two physical machines; putting both DB and AS to the same computer doesn't seem to be that good), but perhaps at the same location as well as the same hosting company (because, when something goes wrong, perhaps it is easier to deal with problems "here" than coordinating staff "here and there").
Re: Application & DB servers on Different Hosting Locations [message #394510 is a reply to message #394506] Fri, 27 March 2009 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rushimails
What you have said is ideally correct. I was just wondering whether that would be possible or not.
And if possible then what could be the technical constraints apart from co-ordination at multiple ends.
Re: Application & DB servers on Different Hosting Locations [message #394511 is a reply to message #394506] Fri, 27 March 2009 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
DB and OAS should be separate.
Be advised that Oracle AS comes with its own seed database.
Depending on options you are using you might end up with multiple ORACLE_HOMEs (for ORACLE database, INFRA, MIDTIER and OTHER layers, one for ASM).
That must be fun to patch.Smile
Within OAS, Infrastructure and other layers can be in same node (depends on hardware capabilities/ OAS options you are using).
Also several OAS components "sits" in memory even if you are not using. Add that with your CPU requirements for normal database operations, OAS operations, online backup etc.

Not sure what difference it will make by hosting in different locations. It does not offer any protection.
If one location is down, any how your other location is useless.
If database is down, OAS serves what? and Vice versa.

Littlefoot's concern is very true in day-to-day operations.
>>it is easier to deal with problems "here" than coordinating staff "here and there"
Re: Application & DB servers on Different Hosting Locations [message #394512 is a reply to message #394506] Fri, 27 March 2009 09:38 Go to previous message
rushimails
Thanks for the details.
Plan to host seperately was just to save on cost on the basis of qoutations received.

Previous Topic: Codiing to create JDBC Data Source
Next Topic: Problem in installing 10 G ias server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:57:41 CDT 2024