Home » Other » Suggestions & Feedback » Let me Google that for you
Let me Google that for you [message #457057] Thu, 20 May 2010 23:26 Go to next message
Frank
Recently I have seen an increase in replies linking to Let Me Google That For You.
I really don't think the people supplying those links actually use that site for their day-to-day searches, so they deliberately went to that site to create a smirky response.
In my view, using Let me Google This For You adds nothing, in comparison to using a regular Google link, except that it (again in my view) is arrogant and ridicules the original poster.
Please all, if you went through the trouble of searching using Google, provide THAT url. It even saves you the trouble of the extra steps of doing the search all over in lmgtfy.
Re: Let me Google that for you [message #457059 is a reply to message #457057] Thu, 20 May 2010 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramoradba
I agree..But IF the OP said That He already googled that,Then I think we can use that LMGTFY link.

sriram Smile
Re: Let me Google that for you [message #457060 is a reply to message #457059] Thu, 20 May 2010 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Why? What does it add compared to providing the same search in Google?
(and, in other words, you don't agree at all with anything I posted.)

[Updated on: Thu, 20 May 2010 23:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Let me Google that for you [message #457069 is a reply to message #457060] Fri, 21 May 2010 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramoradba
See One thing...
If you really found One solution you can post that link(URL)...
But If it is like I want to give more URLs/Links which are helpful to the OP then instead of posting all those URL`s It`s a straight forward answer Using a single link...
IMO Using LMGTFY is not an arrogant and ridicules reply May be I/we are using more specific keywords than OP,
Why can`t you think in that positive way?

Compare to the other HARSH words which are used in this forum reply...
So many users are discussing about harsh words using this forum you can find those replies here only
LMGTFY is not an Mistake or whatever in your words.

IMO "Let Me Google That For You" is for helping others.

If you really think that posting link is not proper way...
Then why can`t you raise your hand on one topic "MOST ---Question" topic...
There in that topic we/members enjoying ourselves by looking at the questions asked/answered on the ignorance of an fresher or whatever.

Almost all 90% of my replies are URLS only...
I never get any negative responce from any OP(like please stop your replies let others reply or Please be polite or any other stating that I am Using HARSH words)

Its Not meant for the argue with you people,Its Just My Opinion.
People Please share your thoughts.

Thank you
Sriram Smile
Re: Let me Google that for you [message #457070 is a reply to message #457069] Fri, 21 May 2010 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
You completely seem to miss my point.
Like I said, link to google.com instead of lmgtfy.com
lmgtfy.com's sole intention is to be smirky, arrogant and paternalizing.

Let me give you an example:
Suppose your manager asks you to get some info on topic X. He says he spent some minutes searching for it, but was not able to find the info he was after.
Will you send him a link to Google, containing the correct search terms or will you send him a link to a page which contains EXACTLY the same info, but that has in BIG letters added to it that he is a jerk who is not able to use Google?

[Updated on: Fri, 21 May 2010 00:25]

Re: Let me Google that for you [message #457084 is a reply to message #457070] Fri, 21 May 2010 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
When I first saw LMGTFY, my reactions were WOW /forum/fa/450/0/, LOL /forum/fa/449/0/ and ROFLMAO /forum/fa/7827/0/. However, it seems like a comedy you already saw - it was hilarious for the first time, brought some amusement in another few occasions, but - true, lost its charm afterwards.

As many other things, its use probably shouldn't be abused. I think that the only just situation where LMGTFY is to be used when question is so obvious that it is unbelievable that someone was unable to find it for him/herself.
Re: Let me Google that for you [message #457117 is a reply to message #457070] Fri, 21 May 2010 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramoradba

Let me Google That for you[ 10 votes ]
1. Do not use LMGTFY 2 / 20%
2. Nothing wrong we can use that anyway 1 / 10%
3. You can use it when solution is obvious from a simple search 7 / 70%

Frank wrote on Fri, 21 May 2010 10:43
You completely seem to miss my point.
Like I said, link to google.com instead of lmgtfy.com
lmgtfy.com's sole intention is to be smirky, arrogant and paternalizing.

Let me give you an example:
Suppose your manager asks you to get some info on topic X. He says he spent some minutes searching for it, but was not able to find the info he was after.
Will you send him a link to Google, containing the correct search terms or will you send him a link to a page which contains EXACTLY the same info, but that has in BIG letters added to it that he is a jerk who is not able to use Google?

No words...
Lets create a poll.
Actually I dont have any problem for using it or not.

sriram Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 24 May 2010 00:40]

Re: Let me Google that for you [message #457120 is a reply to message #457117] Fri, 21 May 2010 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I added a 3rd option to the poll because as Frank often said "these are just guidelines and not mandatory rules" and so first option can't apply and using it often just to miss the point, in this I agree with Littlefoot.

Regards
Michel
Re: Let me Google that for you [message #457122 is a reply to message #457117] Fri, 21 May 2010 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I will not vote. The world is not black and white, so only two options are far to restrictive. I can't say that I will NOT use LMGTFY, but I will certainly not vote for the second option (because there IS something wrong, sometimes).

I think that you still don't understand what Frank is talking about. Certain information can be delivered nicely (answer to your question is here) or - as middle management sometimes loves to do it: look, stupid, lmgtfy (as of "middle management": I watched The Mentalist the other day).
Re: Let me Google that for you [message #457126 is a reply to message #457122] Fri, 21 May 2010 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
The world is not black and white, so only two options are far to restrictive.

This is why I added a third one.

Regards
Michel
Re: Let me Google that for you [message #457132 is a reply to message #457126] Fri, 21 May 2010 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Yes, you did (while I was carefully writing a message. My handwriting is awful, so I have to do it slowly - otherwise you wouldn't be able to read it). Moreover, as "the second" option remained the same, there wasn't urge for me to modify what I already wrote.
Re: Let me Google that for you [message #457159 is a reply to message #457132] Fri, 21 May 2010 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mkounalis
IMHO, the replies aren't going to your respective managers - they are sometimes going to people that really should have used some search engine in the first place. In reading the questions posted, it is very common for the poster to have more easily found the answer rather than going through the motions of posting. In some cases people are looking for free consulting, or asking questions that really shouldn't need to be asked if they are in fact legitimate IT workers. I feel that the people responding to these posts are usually in their right to frame their answers with language that is belittling and condescending - but usually the answers are highly professional only mentioning links to documentation. Using LMGTFY is really a nice way to both teach and nicely tell someone to please use tools already available to them before coming here and wasting time with senseless posts. I don't advocate it's abuse - it's ability to make the intended point would diminish if overused. But again, IMHO, it's use is easily justified by some of the posts I have read.
Re: Let me Google that for you [message #457164 is a reply to message #457159] Fri, 21 May 2010 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
knw15pwr
Does anybody also care to realise that at some places (organizations) Google is rather banned or restricted while forums are free to be accessed?
Where I work, I can access orafaq, Oracle.com with ease from my desktop. But to use google - i have to go to a lab, book my seat, when i get my chance - google, then mail myself the research from an external mail id (which is again a policy violation). Then get back to my seat use the suggesstions - if Im still stuck repeat that.

Its much easier for me (and many others like me) to use forums like these.
Most of the seniors around here don't realise this - please do not think that we are rather dumb for not being able to google. LMGTFY is a cool thing - but it does hurt for the person at the receiving end.

Also, one more point would be that newbies are rather not aware of "keywords" that most of you seniors are aware of. Googling, using the wrong keywords rather takes them deeper in pit. And that is why they come to forums where some good advice can be expected.
Re: Let me Google that for you [message #457165 is a reply to message #457164] Fri, 21 May 2010 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
It does not hurt to put in the question something like:
- I can't access Google from my place
- I search with Google for the keywords "..." and find nothing useful for me in the first N links I visited
- I read ... and ... but this does not answer my problem

(I always put these last 2 ones in forums and then always get an answer even if it is sometimes a "don't know" one.)

Regards
Michel
Re: Let me Google that for you [message #457167 is a reply to message #457165] Fri, 21 May 2010 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
knw15pwr
Similarly, it does not hurt to just put the link to Google, does it?
Is it necessary to belittle users by using LMGTFY ? This is what Frank is trying to say, isn't it ?
Re: Let me Google that for you [message #457168 is a reply to message #457167] Fri, 21 May 2010 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Yes when they may learn from it.

Regards
Michel
Re: Let me Google that for you [message #457170 is a reply to message #457168] Fri, 21 May 2010 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Of course, there's a possibility that someone doesn't even know that Google exists. In that case, LMGTFY is a true revelation.

Is such a scenario possible? Yes.
Is it probable? Not much.
Re: Let me Google that for you [message #457317 is a reply to message #457168] Sun, 23 May 2010 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
moshea
Michel Cadot wrote on Fri, 21 May 2010 13:42
Yes when they may learn from it.

Regards
Michel

People don't learn more from an answer dripping in arrogance/condescension/sarcasm/ridicule/whatever compared to one without. In my experience they learn about the same; whilst being discouraged from developing any affinity for the community that condones them.

The aforementioned posting style (typified by LMGTFY usage) serves no purpose other than to stroke the ego of the poster.

Regards,
Michael.
Re: Let me Google that for you [message #457341 is a reply to message #457317] Mon, 24 May 2010 00:39 Go to previous message
vamsi kasina
Frankly, LMGTFY is being used only for LAZY posters. I personally don't care what they think.
If someone is here for help, they need to follow the Forum Guide and post accordingly.
Moreover, LMGTFY is far better than asking/saying
1. Why didn't you check Google first?
2. Can't you search in Google before posting?
3. You are too lazy to search before posting.

So, LMGTFY is an easy way to tell the poster "LOOK! You can do it this way. But you didn't do it. I've done it for you.".
May be next time they will do that before posting.
If you give Google links, I agree that some people will do that next time. But some won't.

By
Vamsi

[Updated on: Mon, 24 May 2010 14:20]

Previous Topic: External at wiki
Next Topic: Some thoughts about OraFAQ
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 05:15:32 CDT 2024