Home » Developer & Programmer » Application Express, ORDS & MOD_PLSQL » Need suggestion in selecting Apex for new development
Need suggestion in selecting Apex for new development [message #439047] Wed, 13 January 2010 13:26 Go to next message
ny1001
Guys,

I came across oracle apex this week and started digging through the documentation and presentations. Read some forums as well. Now I believe, our application can be helpful by utilizing Apex but I would like to share high level application functionality which I am trying to implement through Apex

Following are the functionality of the application:

1) there will be 40 different entity in the application (create/edit/read/delete)
2) Each entity and CRUD processing will be roles based
3) On various events, send email and generate XML files for interfacing with external system
4) Scheduling report generation and normal report generation
5) Detail audit trail of the application (doesn't depend of Ajax, but still want to point out)
6) Various search capabilities for each entity
7) On various event and user selection: generate PDF file which user can download / print.
Cool Many client side and server side validations.

Based on my reading, I believe this can be easily achieved with certainly some learning curve in AJAX. (which I have to do as I lost my entire project team due to budget issues.). I have a web devleopment background using Java, JSP and Servlet for 5 years. (Nothing in last 3 years though)

*Please let me know your thoughts based on my current situation and functionality.*

Also, Do i need to buy anything to get started with apex and implementing apex full blown application (they say it's free, but just want to understand your perspective as well).

Thank you for reading the post and your support.

-Raj
Re: Need suggestion in selecting Apex for new development [message #440978 is a reply to message #439047] Thu, 28 January 2010 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gtrianta
Hi

I am developing applications using APEX for quite a long time so my opinion is that you can defenetely use APEX to develop your application.

You will be amazed of how easy and fast the development is.
APEX is equipped with many wizards to help you develop basic CRUD forms plus the ability to customize the look and feel for each one.

In addition it contains simple to use APIs to help you address the following:

Send emails with attachments
Generate reports
Schedule tasks (including printing of reports).
Generate XML (although this can be easily achieved with DBMS_XMLGEN database package)

You can utilize a very sophisticated component called Interactive Reports which among other things will give you the capability to perform complex searches in your data.

APEX monitors the use of your application automaticaly, but still you can use various events that are provided during page rendering to fine tune your audit trail needs.

You can define your authorization by using the so called authorization schemes and then you can use it to restrict user's access to the database or hide/show information according to user's roles.

Although APEX has the capability to generate pdf with the help of XSL-FO (this is called standard reporting and it's free) I strongly recommmend to take a look at BI publisher (a very powerfull report generator). APEX and BI Publisher are very well integrated. BI Publisher is not a free product.

APEX has a lot lot more functionality, the learning curve is short and there are many blogs and forums that can help you further in your development.

If you need anything else just let me know.

Regards
George

Re: Need suggestion in selecting Apex for new development [message #441809 is a reply to message #439047] Wed, 03 February 2010 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
delna.sexy
Every coin has two sides. Smile
Be aware of that also.

regards,
Delna
Re: Need suggestion in selecting Apex for new development [message #441892 is a reply to message #439047] Wed, 03 February 2010 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ny1001
Delna,

You a good philosophical point....

FYI..... like your id....philosophical as well (matches well with you reply)
Re: Need suggestion in selecting Apex for new development [message #441904 is a reply to message #439047] Wed, 03 February 2010 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gtrianta
I totally agree with you. I used to have such a coin. In one side it was written APEX and in the other JAVA. And I flipped it...

Wink
Re: Need suggestion in selecting Apex for new development [message #441954 is a reply to message #441904] Thu, 04 February 2010 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
delna.sexy
/forum/fa/1683/0/
Actually, I am also working as ApEx developer.
In my case, I have to develope same application, which is already developed using Java. And everything which is possible with java, is not possible with ApEx. Hence, we are facing so much problems in almost all that tasks.
That is the reason of my previous reply.

Anyway, if we do not do comparisions with other languages, Apex is very good tools for development.

Wish you all good luck. /forum/fa/2115/0/

regards,
Delna
Re: Need suggestion in selecting Apex for new development [message #441970 is a reply to message #441954] Thu, 04 February 2010 03:09 Go to previous message
gtrianta
At least you re-developed something more or less in the same technology (from user interface point of view).In my case it was even worst. I had to re develop a couple of applications initial developed in Forms. And it was pretty tough.

I would really like to know a couple of issues you run into during the porting from Java to APEX (beside the fact that in APEX it is not so straightforward to create an application that combines data from different oracle databases, something that it's very easy with Java applications)

Regards
George

Previous Topic: APEX template :: Multi-columned report
Next Topic: Automatic Row Fetch (ARF)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:38:13 CDT 2024