Home » Developer & Programmer » Application Express, ORDS & MOD_PLSQL » ORDS Glassfish Tomcat (ORDS 3.x)
ORDS Glassfish Tomcat [message #641927] Thu, 27 August 2015 11:50 Go to next message
John Watson
I'm getting caught up in the debate about what Java container to use for the ORDS APEX listener. The docs list the supported containers as being these:

11g Release 1 (10.3.6) or later
Glassfish Release 3.1.2 or later
Tomcat Release 7.0.56 or later

At the moment we are using Glaassfish 4.? no problem, but increasingly I am hearing suggestions that Tomcat may be better. Not necessarily because of reliability or performance, but because Oracle has ceased commercial support for Glassfish. I have also heard that Tomcat is a lighter weight process, being just a servlet container without all the EE stuff.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? Either a technical opinion or (more importantly!) an opnion on what the better option may be going forward considering commercial and support issues?

Thankyou for any insight.

Re: ORDS Glassfish Tomcat [message #641975 is a reply to message #641927] Fri, 28 August 2015 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
geordibbk
I'd like to hear about this also, sorry I don't know much about the subject to contribute but I once saw a tutorial where I think the author said configuring a listener on Tomcat is more complicated than Glassfish, whilst the built in Oracle listener has scaling performance problems if you have many concurrent users.
Re: ORDS Glassfish Tomcat [message #641980 is a reply to message #641975] Fri, 28 August 2015 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Thanks for replying. If TC is indeed worse to configure than GF, than that is certainly something to throw into the equation.
Re: ORDS Glassfish Tomcat [message #642063 is a reply to message #641975] Tue, 01 September 2015 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
geordibbk wrote on Fri, 28 August 2015 07:52
I'd like to hear about this also, sorry I don't know much about the subject to contribute but I once saw a tutorial where I think the author said configuring a listener on Tomcat is more complicated than Glassfish, whilst the built in Oracle listener has scaling performance problems if you have many concurrent users.

Oracle listener is NOT involved with "many concurrent users" after each individual connection request has been made.
You can STOP the listener & have ZERO impact on existing client connections.

You can also minimize the listener workload by simply utilizing Connection Pooling at the application level.
Re: ORDS Glassfish Tomcat [message #642064 is a reply to message #642063] Tue, 01 September 2015 11:09 Go to previous message
John Watson
Its a bit different when using the EPG. Each individual http request hits the listener, you don't have the concept of a persistent session: its all stateless. This is one reason for the scalability issues of EPG.
Previous Topic: display image in apex 5
Next Topic: Apex
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:02:33 CDT 2024